Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Mom heads back to work...

This week I started back to work half days. Greg is at home caring for Izzy while I am at work and then he'll go in and set up experiments or attend meetings. So far, he has still been coming home before 8:00 pm.

Monday I headed into work about 10:15 am. It was really hard to leave Izzy when she was awake. I tried not to cry, but did shed a few tears on my way out (and many more anticipating this day) and welled up on the drive, but made it through my 4 1/2 hour day without any more tears.

I wondered how long it would be before I got a phone call from Greg (and how many I might receive). The longest Greg had ever watched Izzy alone was a little over an hour...and now he was up to 5 hours of baby duty. I wrote journal entries of 3 example days so that Greg might know what to expect at what time of day and gave him many words of encouragement before his big day.

My first phone call was at 10:47 am (only 17 minutes after arriving at work). Greg called to find out what I do when I am home alone with the baby and the dog needs to go out. A very reasonable question and something I had to figure out myself when I was first presented with the situation. I received two other phone calls to find out about eating and some other minor issue (plus I think they missed me ;).

When I got home from my first day, Greg was waiting in the doorway with Izzy and told me she missed me. I really missed her too! We enjoyed the rest of the afternoon/evening together. I asked Greg how the day went and he gave me the run down of their day. He said he was not able to get anything done while watching her except sneaking in a quick lunch, but had fun with her. I promptly responded by saying that I was glad things went so well, but he was NOT going to be a stay-at-home dad with a PhD!

Tuesday and today were easier as I went to work in the morning after I nursed Izzy and put her back to sleep. I didn't have to say "goodbye", so that helped for sure. I am a bit tired, though, as our great sleeping baby decided not to sleep through the night the last two nights, but at least she didn't fight going back to sleep...

I am glad that I have a month of working half days to get used to leaving Izzy and am so grateful that I have such a wonderful husband who I know is sacrificing a lot to stay at home with her when I am at work and work his own schedule around mine. He is the best!

I know our lives will be a bit harder and more stressful as I head back to work full time in May, but we know it is only temporary and am so glad that Greg will have a chance to bond with Izzy when she is so young. I'll have my time with all of the other kids....

No comments:

Post a Comment