Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Why do strangers want to talk to me?

It seems like when you are pregnant or have a baby, you are the target for random conversations with strangers. They all seem to be interested in you and most of the time the conversations go pretty well and are about random things you have in common. Today, Isabel and I went grocery shopping at Woodmans. We shop there regularly and I got a number of comments about how I was "so huge" or "you must be having twins" when I was still pregnant, but today's comment takes the cake.

When we were walking in the store I saw a woman about 30 years old who was walking into the store with a young girl, presumably her daughter. The little girl must have said something about how she loved her mom because the woman replied by saying, "Everyone loves their mom, my mom's dead". I thought that it was interesting that she chose to comment about how her mom is dead, but whatever. I ran into this woman and the little girl in the produce section and she saw Izzy in the carrier in the cart and said to me, "I remember when my daughter was that little". I said that she was about 10 1/2 weeks and the woman commented that she was big for her age. I told them that she was almost 10 lbs when she was born and I couldn't have prepared myself for what was going to come out of her mouth next. She replied by saying, "She must have tore your shit up." I said that I had a c-section and went on my way. I can't believe I was floored by the comments I got shopping at that store when I was pregnant...this tops them all.

2 comments:

  1. Ok that is pretty bad? Seriously... the craziest of the crazies are always at Woodman's for some reason (East or West, doesn't matter). What a way with words? Geesh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have replied the same way but also commented that you were offended by the use of her language infront of kids. I have a feeling that poor child of hers is going to grow up quite screwed up.

    ReplyDelete